Sunday, March 12, 2006

Come up in the spot looking extra fly

Hey Ladies,
Hollllaaa! Okay, I am having the MOST extra-fly week ever, ever, ever. By now, a few of you have written in that you've seen my TV commercial for Olay. Yes, it's me and yes, my bottom teeth really are that crooked. But hello? CAN YOU BELIEVE I'M IN A COMMERCIAL? When I taped it a month ago, i didn't want to tell you guys in case I fell on my ass or something and ended up on the cutting room floor. But I saw it for the first time last week during a beloved Project Runway marathon and my throat is still sexily raspy from the force of my screeching. Here's the setup: Its a beauty editor (moi) in a fake office, and as she's rifling through all her different beauty products and says something to the effect of "I have access to a zillion beauty products, but Olay Total Effects is the only one that truly melts my butter." Well, not exactly, but you get it. When you see it, let me know what you think! I'm still in shock about the whole thing. The audition was hilarious. It was me and a bunch of my beauty editor amigas, and while most of them were nervous wrecks (a good writer does not a public speaker make), I was all over it. When it was my turn to go in front of the cameras I was like, "okay let's do this, where's the wind machine?"

Is that so wrong? Look, if I'm going to be on national TV I'm trying to have bouncy, wind-tousled hair.

But here's the second big thing happening...I'm the new co-host of Cosmopolitan magazine's new radio show, Cosmo Radio, on Sirius channel 111! It's launching on Tuesday, and if you have Sirius radio you must tune in! Me and my co-host, Taylor, will be doing the morning show, 7-11am Monday-Friday, and we'll be talking about the hottest celebrity gossip, sounding off on all things love, sex, and relationships, and doing celebrity interviews (I'm chatting up folks like Patricia Fields and Chris "Too-Dreamy-To-Live" Brown on the launch show...oh, how I'd like to corrupt that sweet young morsel!!). Isn't that exciting? So, if you have Sirius, you MUST tune in and give us a call and we chat on-air (888-81COSMO).


In the meantime, I'd like to leave you with a tasty, tasty little piece of totally related insider beauty information. Even though my hair ended up in a low bun in the Olay commercial, it started off all wavy and wanton, like a whole pre-Rapphealite moment (the hairstylist was a genius. A GENIUS). You know, like those piecy, luscious Gisele/Jessica Simpson/Jennifer Aniston waves? I've never been able to really make that look happen on my own. To do it, I separate my hair into small sections, and wind each one around the wand of my curling iron until my whole head is done. For some reason, the waves always look a little off...too tight, or something. But the hairstylist at the shoot used this ingenious triple-barreled curling iron, HOT TOOLS PROFESSIONAL 3 GOLD BARREL WAVER. I've never seen anything like it. Instead of wrapping the section around a single barrel, you weave it in and out three different ones--it makes the most natural-looking, bouncy waves that last until you wash your hair. You've got to try it! But first, always spritz hair with a thermal heat protecting spray like REDKEN HOT SETS THERMAL SETTING MIST.

xoxo,
Tia

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmigoodness! Congratulations on your latest career move and coup! You're really doing it and doing it and doing it well (if I can borrow from LL). Thanks for the update and I'll be looking out for the Olay commercial. Kudos . . . to the brown Jackie Collins. (Though I think you'll be way more fab and a lot more fierce.)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Elke said...

Congrats!!! Can't wait to see your commerical debut! And I'm going to get that curling iron for my photo shoots (I do hair/makeup). We're always on the lookout for cool new toys to play with! Have a great weekend!

Elke

8:55 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

I'm watching Lifetime and I saw your commercial. You look great!!Keep showing the world what us East Coast women are made of! Do you have any information about the organization Black Women in Beauty?And one more question...Who gives you facials in New York? Can't wait for your next book!!!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Schanina said...

Books, magazines, TV, radio...I'm so excited for you...can't wait to see the commercial.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU are doing your thang! I am so proud of you! All of us can say we knew you when huh? :) Ok, so not really! I aint mad at you for the wind machine! A girl has got to look fly :) hehehe


I'll look out for the ad.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the commercial but I will definitely be on the lookout, girly you are the BOMB!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Disco said...

Hi Tia! I did see your spot and you looked GREAT! This is the first time that I've commented on your page, but I "lurk" often :-) I also saw the Vibe story too and you know..... you actually look like you wear a size 7- 7 1/2..... I wear a 10 also and you do us (my feet that is) justice! Love your blog!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olay commercial, Vibe Vixen spot, a book due out soon, Hot Damn girl you've been busy! Congrats on all, and kisses and hugs from the Ocean State. You know who we is... :)

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Exciting! Congrats Tia! I can't wait to see the commercial and hopefully I won't scare anyone when I shriek in excitement...as if I know you personally.

Question: Are those shoes you're wearing in Vibe Vixen flats or heels? They're really cute.

1:22 PM  
Blogger As The World Turns....Mystie Blu said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I love Oil of Olay...every women in my family swears by it...can't wait to see the commercial!!!!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Congrats! I saw the commercial and I was like hey I read her blog lol. I had to come in here and comment :)

4:40 PM  
Blogger | b | said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:56 PM  
Blogger | b | said...

Congratulations on all of your success, Tia. You truly deserve it! Haven't seen the commercial yet, but I've been a devotee of Oil of Olay since before puberty- thanks Dad! Lol!

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,
Congrats chica!!! Its good to see sistas doing it for themselves!

And thanks to you I have contacted an advisor about the NYU summer course and I am crossing my fingers*wish me luck* even if I don't get in I plan to take a few Continuing Education Courses on writing and editing. Keep inspiring other junior beauty/fashion editors like myself.... by junior editors I mean girls who blog and are obsessed with writing/talking/breathing all that is make-up and clothes;-)

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Tia!


Congrats!I'll be looking for the commerical soon!


Jamie

8:18 PM  
Blogger Shelia said...

Congrats on the radio show. My ex has sirrius...so I guess I'll have to bug him for his password because I think I can listen to it from the computer.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I just have one comment/question. The products that you mention in this blog seem to be for people with a certain type/grade of hair. I can look at your hair and tell that I definitely don't have the same grade as you. My hair is thick & course, I have true black woman hair - like back to the homeland hair. OK, I'm exaggerating but I'm not mixed or anything. So I'm skeptical that these products will actually work for me. When you give suggestions, are they for peole with your type of hair, or will they work for everyone?

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn - I meant to say coarse, not course. Duh!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently got those curls and was bouncing through LAX the other day.So much stares of jealousy it was crazy.Picked up VV and saw your page and thought she is beautiful and with my info seeking ass instantly logged on.A job in your field is what i want to do so keep those internships tips coming and keep up the good work ma.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation!!!! :)

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoo-hoo!!! U betta work! I saw the commercial and got all happy like it was me on the screen (lol). Later, I picked up the Vibe Vixen with my girl Kimora on the cover and there you were again :)--keep doing your thang! Much love and props from the Windy City.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I stumbled across your website after reading about you on Imans book "The Beauty of Colour". All I can say is that im so impressed.

I am based in England and we never seem to get information on beauty like this for sisters of colour.

I would like some advise if possible.... Can you please recommend any good skincare products that are good for fading away previous acne scars and for creating an even skin tone (especially any products in the UK) Cause we really miss out on the stuff you guys have.

Keep up all the good work I will be making this one of my favourite pages and telling all my friends. x

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia,

Congrats on the sat. radio gig. Who is Taylor Strecker? I am not sure if I am supposed to know this person. How has the feedback been thus far on the show? All the best.

11:01 PM  
Blogger princessdominique said...

Congrats Tia. You are awesome! I've got to find the commercial!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tia,

That is so great! Touch the sky, ma!!

3:23 PM  
Blogger divasoul said...

I did see the commercial. Then immediately went back here to see if you'd said anything about it. LOL. You are doin' it UP. Congrats, good luck, and please keep it up.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi tia, i really like the show it is awesome!!!!!, i,ve been looking for at ur pics and taylor, but for nothing in the world i can see who is taylor. can you explain how is she or post a photo of her? thanks

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tia-- Lancome PR writing. We need a mailing address to send you product samples and this is the only contact I can find for you!! Please e-mail me at sstocker@lancome-usa.com.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://xalpzmiv.com/mapp/ursq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qrdildcu.com/ipdo/dipr.html]Cool site[/url]

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://xalpzmiv.com/mapp/ursq.html | http://yztgebby.com/gbsz/symx.html

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your commercial for Olay and I have to say I was stunned by your beauty. What amazed me the most was how comfortable and natural you were, that blew me away. Your hair was like heaven, your skin flawless, I wish I could get a copy of that commercial just so I could admire you some more. I hope to see more of you in the future.

Donny
www.myspace.com/razgreez

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home